Jalapeno & Cheese Cornbread
250g FAGE Total 0%
175g fine or instant polenta/cornmeal
125g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
200ml skimmed milk
50g drained red jalapenos, chopped
125g Lancashire or Cheshire cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180°C / 350°F. Grease and line an 8”/20cm square cake tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the polenta, flour, baking powder and sugar. Whisk together eggs, yoghurt and milk and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well until smooth and season.
- Add roughly two-thirds of both the jalapenos and cheese, stir in, then pour into the tin.
- Scatter over the remaining jalapenos and cheese. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until springy to the touch. If the bread starts to go too brown during cooking cover loosely with a sheet of foil.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, cut into chunks and serve warm or cold. Make up to a day ahead and store in an airtight container once cooled.